Monday, July 20, 2009

Your Rubric

Your Rubric

For this assignment I viewed several pre-made rubrics on Rubistar. I chose the one that assess a Lab Report because what constitutes a complete report (an 'A') is difficult for students to understand and I thought this rubric did an excellent job of describing what would be required in order for students to earn an A (despite a few typos). For this assignment we were asked to download the rubric (as an excel spreadsheet), upload it to google docs and publish it to our blog. However, I'm not in a classroom so I used a premade rubric. I right clicked on it and selected send to Excel, but the formatting wasn't correct and I'm still working with th excel version to try and get it to fit neatly onto one page. As I was looking to see if their was another way to export this document I found an option that said send to blog, which automatically pulled up blogger and asked me to log in. When I did it went right to a new post and automatically inserted a link to the rubric. I thought this was very helpful so I went ahead and included it in my blog post.

I have been exposed to many rubrics in the last few years and have found them extremely helpful but was frightened by the idea of actually creating one on my own. I was afraid of not being specific enough or of setting my expectations too high. This site has thousands of rubrics along with a format for creating your own and made the task a little less scary. It gave me an idea of what other teachers are asking of their students so I can make sure my expectation are in line with theirs. This tool is extremely valuable and becuase it integrates the interent with classroom learning also demonstarate the teachers ability to integrate technology. I also think that for self evaluation projects or even peer evaluations this would be a valuable website for students to create together. If they all created it and then all used to the same rubric to grade, it would keep the classroom interactive and interesting while integrating technology. It would also take away alot of the subjectivness of such evaluations and make students more accountable for the evaluations. Students will no longer be able to grade each other completely as they please, or becuase they like or don't like someone. There will be specific requirements that they helped create.

One definite postive of this assignment is that it definetly facilitates student learning because I doubt many students have done this type of assignment before (ISTE_NETS T Standard 1). This is also definetly a digital age assessment (Standard 2). Again, this assignment could be linked to most of these standards like many of our other assignments. But I believe its application to standards one and two are what make this assignment unique.

Still working on editing the rubric in Excel . . . .

Finally finished check it out here

No comments:

Post a Comment