Monday, July 27, 2009

PodCast

Script, Outline, Assessment

For this assignment I chose to do my podcase as an introductory lesson on genetics. I discussed Mendel, his laws of inheritance, key genetic terms and some basic genetic processes. In addition to writing a script for this lesson I also designed an outline for student to take notes on and a simple assessment. They were all joined together in one word document and uploaded to google docs. The standards met by this activity are stated in the beginning of the Podcast.

This is probably the most relevant assignment we've done all semester (the others were valuable but this has direct application). It was hard to develop an audio lesson with no visual aids, but a power point could be incorporated into this for a more effective lesson. This would be valuable as a review or for students that missed a class. Having the supplemental materials online is also helpful for these students or those that misplaced handouts. I can definetly see myself incorporating this technology into my classroom.

I was also suprised at the low cost of the equipment. I had to go buy a microphone for this assignment and was shocked that it was only $9.00. The audicity program took 2 try's to dowload but thanks to the discussion board I figured it out. After that it was smooth sailing. I recorded my script added intro and closing music and added effects to the music. All this was done by simple copy and paste. I couldn't use the music I had stored on my computer because it was the wrong type and I didn't know how to convert it, so I just played it and recorded it to audicity with the microphone. After this I saved the audicity file and then exported as a .wav file which didn't work because podbean doesn't support this. This I tried to export the mp3 file which auditicity couldn't do because of patent issues. I had to go through link after link and download after download to finally get to an unzipped version of a .dll file called "lame". This exported the .mp3 right to my music fold and I uploaded it to podbean and then linked that to this post! INTRO TO GENETICS POD CAST! Viola! Finished! It wasn't that hard, but you'd think someone would make all these things compatible!

1 comment:

  1. Sam, I will use your suggestion to incorporate visuals into the podcast next semester. Thanks and nice work this summer.

    ReplyDelete